15 February 2010

THE WEEKEND EFFECT

About four years ago, after having our first child, I realized that I didn't spend as much time with my family as I'd like. So I stopped working on Saturdays, every other week. Three years later when our second little girl was born, I decided to take the bold step of not working on Saturdays at all. It wasn't a popular decision with many patients, who relied on that time, but many of them made an effort to come during the week. It has turned out to be one of the best moves I've made, as I've been able to develop a strong bond with my kids and give my wife a helping hand with the ever demanding task of raising two very energetic kids. The weekend is a very important time for all of us to rest, spend time with loved ones, do something different, and recharge for the next week. A recent study found that people are generally happier on the weekend, regardless of how much they earn or how satisfied they are with their jobs. They called this the "weekend effect." So if you are denying yourself of that essential rest and relaxation time, you may be compromising your happiness and health.

No comments: