05 May 2009

LIKE GRAVITY

About a year ago, I had a patient who was improving slower than he had hoped. On one of his follow-up visits, while waiting in reception, another patient sensed his disappointment and told him that if he has faith, he will get better. When he told me what he heard, I explained that he will improve regardless of whether he has faith in chiropractic or not. You see, it’s sort of like gravity. It works whether you believe in it or not. While in chiropractic school, one of our lecturers told us a story about a time when a cab driver told him he didn’t believe in chiropractic. So he told the driver if he went to the top of a tall building and before jumping, said he didn’t believe in gravity, would he still plummet to the ground? This is the same in chiropractic. I see this regularly in my office, as I come across many skeptical patients. After the first visit, many people often wonder if something so non-invasive and gentle can actually do anything, let alone help them to feel better. When they come back on subsequent visits, they often say, “You know, Doc, I think I actually feel better!” Like gravity, chiropractic is also based on very basic natural laws. Once the flow of life energy from your spine is maximized your body will work better, with or without faith.
(Previously published in Healthy Habits Update, Spring 2006)

No comments: